St Matthew's, Naburn

St Matthew's, Naburn

 

Naburn has only had its own church since 1854. Prior to this the village was partly in the ecclesiastical Parish of Holy Trinity in Acaster Malbis and partly in the parishes of St George & St Denys in York.  Villagers also worshipped at the Palmes chapel as a large part of the village was owned by the Palmes family who lived at Naburn Hall from 1226 to 1974.  A separate Parish of Naburn was created with its own Parish Church and the building was consecrated and opened by the Archbishop of York in 1854.

In 1986 in a report of the Diocesan Architects, the church required substantial works and the PCC could not perceive any means of raising £100,000 and in 1991 the church was declared redundant.  However, a group within the Parish fought to raise the money and launched an Appeal Fund and, with help from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the church was restored and re-dedicated by the Archbishop of York.

Regular Holy Communion services are held every Sunday and special services and events throughout the year.  Information on all services and events can be found on the Calendar.  The church maintains strong links with Naburn CofE Primary School.

Naburn has a very strong community spirit, with good links to the church.  Special services, fundraising, and caring for the church are very much an important part of the whole community coming together.