History1

All Saints Church was built around 1170 A.D. In the Domesday Book it states that Gilbert Tyson who was standard bearer to William the Conquerer, gave two carucates of land at Bubwith to Selby Abbey. The oldest part of the church are the fine Norman Chancel Arch and a section of masonry above it, the flat buttress and corbel table in the North Aisle and fragments built into the Chancel Walls on the North side, all these being rich transitional work of the years 1170 to 1180. The church then evidently only consisted of a Nave and Chancel, the semi-circular (aspidal) East Wall being where the step is just past the choir stalls, and the West Wall where the pillar is to the left of the South door. If you stand in the central Aisle and look up at the chancel arch you will see above a ledge and two bricked up windows, evidence of the site of a 'rood loft' which in the time of the early church was a pulpit for preaching and teaching the people. The windows providing light to the 'rood loft' Between 1240 and 1295 the chancel was rebuilt to its present size, then the nave was enlarged by the addition of the north and south Aisles, and a porch was added to the South door.

In 1408 Nicholas de Bubwith became Bishop of Bath and Wells. Alterations to the church took place. In the middle of the 15th century the South Aisle was altered and the Clerestory added, the tower was built and the present East window took the place of an earlier one. During the Reformation in 1520 a statue of Our Lady of Grace was removed. Two stone altars were replaced with a wooden table in the chancel. The stone altar slab standing behind the present altar is probably pre- Reformation. In the 16th and 17th centuries the church fell into dilapidation and so it was refurbished in 1792 and it was ceiled galleried and pews added. The carved oak panelling now at the West end is Jacobean(1603-16250; two panels still remain at either side of the tower.

 

In 1847 the porch on the south side was demolished as was the schoolroom

which had been attached to the north side of the church.

There are several tomb slabs on the chancel floor inscribed to the

Vavasours. The arms, funeral helmets and mailings on the walls of the

chancel also belonged to the Vavasours.

The oak eagle lectern was presented to the church by Mrs Highmore in

1900.

The fine carved choir stalls are made of riga oak and were presented to the

church in 1903 by Mrs J Wilkinson in memory of her husband. They were

designed by Mr G Malam Wilson of Sheffield and made by Messrs Jones

and Willis of Birmingham.

The restoration of the tower was completed in 1910 and a dedication

service was held for the bells , the vestry screen and seats on the 22nd

December.

The church clock dates from 1910. This was presented to the church by

Mr Robert Chaplin in memory of his father Mr Robert Schoolcroft Chaplin

of Menthorpe. The clock is a fine example of the work of Mr G.J.F. Newey

of York.

In 1911 Mr R Chaplin and Mrs J Wilkinson presented to the church the

existing oak altar to match the rest of the beautiful oak furniture.

The oak pulpit made to match the choir stalls was presented to the church

by Mr J.E. Wray of Breighton in 1913.

1916 Brindley & Foster two manual organ installed.

The fine lychgate was donated to the church by Mr J Fowler in memory of

his father in 1988.

The altar in the south aisle was dedicated to the 78th Squadron in 2002 in

memory of all the airmen who gave their lives for their country in the

second world war. The cross surmounting the altar is from a Halifax

Bomber.